Subject: Re: Labelling a disk
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Kennedy <robert@Theory.Stanford.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/22/2001 21:32:44
> I just have to say that I feel you all made it look all too disastrous,
> when in the end the everything went like a Sunday picnic to the park
> (without the ants).

Congratulations on your success. I would like to say that people's
cautionary statements are not misplaced. Like you, I was successful
the first few times I played with various disklabel tricks, and I got
overconfident until one day when I tried something I figured would be
innocuous, mistakenly applied the command to the wrong device, and
discovered I had not made sufficient notes to recover the partition
table for the drive I mistakenly labeled. Nor did I have a recent
backup. It was most frustrating, so even though your recent experience
went smoothly, please do use extra caution. There is not a lot of
redundancy in the structures you are messing with.

	-- Robert