Subject: Re: -current libc on 1.5.1 machine
To: Tomasz Luchowski , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/22/2001 13:06:32
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:
>
> : Is there any possiblity to back to 1.5.1? Or shall I finish
> : partially-done upgrade to -current? It's production machine,
> : it has to work.
>
> Use the premade binaries at .../NetBSD-1.5/<arch>/binary/sets to back the
> system down to 1.5 first.  After that, if you really want to upgrade via the
> sources to the head of the 1.5 branch, feel free.  :)

But you may also want to remove the old -current libraries; these
won't get overwritten or deleted when you unpack the binaries.
Unfortunately, if you've compiled anything on the machine since those
libraries were installed, you may break those programs by removing the
libs.

Once upon a time, I had a script that would find all the binaries on
the system that were linked against a particular shared library.  But
I've lost it.

> If this is really a "production" machine, you should consider not upgrading
> userland (and upgrade at most the kernel)--it will probably save you a
> headache or two of updating when 1.5.1 actually comes out.

Be very careful about using a 1.5.1 kernel if you have any programs
linked against the -current libs.  These programs may use new versions
of system calls which are unimplemented in 1.5.1, and hence not
supported by the 1.5.1 kernel.

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like a simple situation to get out
of.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                           Mad scientist at large