Subject: Re: Labelling a disk
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@maailma.yok.utu.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2001 22:15:24
On 21-Tam-01, Manuel wrote:

>> I'd like to install disklabel for wd0 so that I could actually use
>> it on the NetBSD side, too. Given my understanding of the disklabel

>> equivalent of disk labels is. What am I to do?
>
> When there's no NetBSD partition a disk, the kernel constructs a fake
> disklabel from the dos partition table.
> What does 'disklabel wd0' returns ? Maybe it's enouth for you ?
>
> If there's no NetBSD partition and try to write a disklabel it'll write it
> at the beggining of the disk, erasing the partition table.

Yes, well, would that be a bad thing? If I enter the data to disklabel
as NetBSD reads it, will writing the disklabel harm Windows?

But, in a way the "fictitious" disklabel provided by the kernel was
*almost* enough. I was able to mount the primary partition using it,
but the kernel did not recognize the extended partition correctly
(I have an extended partition with one logical partition on it,
damn that fdisk and those strange partitioning schemes) although
it is MSDOS partition. So, I think I'll need that disklabel. To
put out a simple question: can I write the disklabel to the wd0
without losing any actual data/accesibilty on wd0?

And I assume that to further partition the drive from NetBSD side
I'd really need real disklabel? I made the error of creating an
extended partition that did not eat up rest of the drive space
but left a gap of 9 gigs. I assume I could partition that space
using NetBSD... (to be used with Windows, is that possible?)

--
Arto Huusko  --  WWW: http://maailma.yok.utu.fi/
                  ** Divecalc **