Subject: Re: driver for Digi
To: Igor Shinin <ish@grey.ru>
From: None <collver@softhome.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/2001 12:56:20
On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 11:19:19PM +0300, Igor Shinin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Digi AccelePort Xe multiport serialš cards are not mentioned in the list of
> supported hardware onš http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/ on pci and isa pages.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with these particular cards or any Digi's
> multiport serials in general?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Igor Shinin

I set up a Linux machine with a 16 port Xe.  There were issues:

1) two digi drivers packaged with the standard Linux 2.2.x kernel tarball.
An "old" one and a "new" one.  The old one supports older models that the
new one doesn't support.  The "old" driver includes firmware that is loaded
into the digiboard when the machine boots.  This firmware is outdated and
lacks some features.  The "new" one can load more up-to-date firmware.

I had to use the "old" driver to support my card.

2) the "old" driver did not specifically support my card.  I could not
access the serial ports unless I first "initialized" them using stty.  So I
modified the init script to initialize all 16 ports with stty.

3) the ports could communicate at high speeds, but the throughput was
limited.  so they would really only be good for terminals, text printers,
and some data aquisition.

Sorry I can't comment on using the hardware in NetBSD.

Ben