Subject: How to use a SIIG USB->RS232 adapter
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/2001 10:48:10
I bought a "SIIG USB Plus Serial Adapter" in the hopes that I'd be
able to use it to connect to my UPS, and also on occasion synchronize
my palmpilot using the pilot-xfer application. I'm running the generic
1.5 kernel at the moment on an i386 machine.

When I disconnect my working USB->ethernet device and connect the
USB->RS232 device, the following shows up in the log:

aue0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
ukphy0 detached
aue0 detached
uhub2 at uhub0 port 1
uhub2: MCT Corp. Hub, class 9/1, rev 1.00/1.02, addr 2
uhub2: 5 ports with 3 removable, bus powered
uhub2: strange, connected port 4 has no power
ugen0 at uhub2 port 4
ugen0: MCT Corporation. USB-232 Interfact Controller, rev 1.00/1.02,
addr 3

So it should be accessible as /dev/ugen0.03, right?

%pilot-xfer -p /dev/ugen0.03 -l
Unable to bind to port '/dev/ugen0.03'.
(Please see 'man pilot-xfer' or 'pilot-xfer --help' for information on
setting the port).

I also tried to use all 16 /dev/ugen0.* devices as the port, but
received that error message every time.

Is this device not usable with NetBSD 1.5?

Thanks for any help or information.

-Zach Fine
czyz@serv.net