Subject: Re: curses documentation? and other questions
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/16/2001 15:11:26
According to Jeremy C. Reed:

>I read that the 4.4BSD curses documentation is technically obsolete (but
>maybe this is only if applied to ncurses.) Is /usr/share/doc/psd/19.curses
>an accurate resource for curses programming?

Yes - that document is maintained when we add new functions to the
library.

>Are there any specific manual pages available for individual curses(3)
>routines?

Not Yet - hopefully there will be some day.

>I am interested in finding out how I can use line drawing characters (if
>they are available). Any ideas?

If you are using NetBSD 1.5 then line drawing should be available.

>The corners don't look very good.

I think that is a termcap problem, not sure though.

>I am interested in making the menu look a little nicer; in particular,
>using ANSI escape sequences to use color and reverse video. (Maybe it
>already does this?)

NetBSD 1.5 curses supports colour.

>Also, does anyone know of any simple user interface toolkits that work
>under X11 and under a console. For example, if under X then a pop-up
>routine would pop-up a new X window and yes/no routine would put "yes" and
>"no" push buttons; under a plain console, the pop-up routine could just
>pop-up a text-based dialog box and a yes/no routine could print "yes" and
>"no" (and you can tab back and forth and press enter or "y" or "n".

You may want to look at libmenu or cdk (if you are tracking -current
then you may be interested to know that CDK was imported recently).
With libmenu you can use the userptr to stash a function callback for
the menu item and use this to do popups in much the same way that the
x tookits do.  If you can, have a look in the cvs repository for the
othersrc cvs module, in there there is a thing called edit which does
curses based pop up windows using libmenu.