Subject: curses documentation? and other questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/15/2001 20:16:53
I read that the 4.4BSD curses documentation is technically obsolete (but
maybe this is only if applied to ncurses.) Is /usr/share/doc/psd/19.curses
an accurate resource for curses programming?

Are there any specific manual pages available for individual curses(3)
routines?

Any suggestions on where can I find good documentation or online
instruction for curses (not ncurses)?

I am looking at curses because I am looking at sysinst, plus working on a
text-based (maybe curses), menu tool for pkgsrc and binary packages.

I am interested in finding out how I can use line drawing characters (if
they are available). Any ideas?

Currently my sysinst (1.5.1_ALPHA/i386 ran under rxvt) shows:

               l***********************************************k
               * NetBSD-1.5.1_ALPHA Install System             *
               *                                               *
               *>a: Install NetBSD to hard disk                *
               * b: Upgrade NetBSD on a hard disk              *
               * c: Re-install sets or install additional sets *
               * d: Reboot the computer                        *
               * e: Utility menu                               *
               * x: Exit Install System                        *
               m***********************************************j

The corners don't look very good.

I am interested in making the menu look a little nicer; in particular,
using ANSI escape sequences to use color and reverse video. (Maybe it
already does this?)

Also, does anyone know of any simple user interface toolkits that work
under X11 and under a console. For example, if under X then a pop-up
routine would pop-up a new X window and yes/no routine would put "yes" and
"no" push buttons; under a plain console, the pop-up routine could just
pop-up a text-based dialog box and a yes/no routine could print "yes" and
"no" (and you can tab back and forth and press enter or "y" or "n".

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/