Subject: Re: current pulled into release branch
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2001 20:23:16
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:48:40AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > This was fixed recently in -current, hopefully the fix will be pulled
> > into 1.5.1.
>
> On 19 Dec 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > as on current. It's also a good idea to follow the current-users
> > mailing list, since most of the changes described there will
> > eventually be pulled up to the release branch.
>
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Noriyuki Soda wrote:
> > Because bug fixes and improvements will be pulled up from main trunk
> > to NetBSD-1.5 release branch, the release branch (which is currently
>
> I am interested in what is involved in "pulling" fixes and/or improvements
> from the -current branch to the release branch.
>
> What exactly does "pull up" mean? (What CVS commands? What steps? Where

cvs up -j rev1 -j rev2

> can I find NetBSD tools that automate some of this?)

I'm not aware of any, but I don't do pullups :)

> Who decides what can be added to the release branch?
> Or, how is it decided to pull up an improvement/fix?

First the deveolper who did it decides or not to ask a pullup.
Then the releng team may or may not approve it.

> How often are fixes or improvements implemented on the -current branch
> that are never pulled up to the release branch? (Or is all working code at
> some time pulled up to the release branch?)

This depends on the complexity of the code. Changes that only affect a
closed part of the system (like a driver) or fixes a bug in a simple
way (we don't want to introduce new ones :) are almost always. More
fundamental changes (like UBC) are not.

> Is code ever implemented directly on the release branch, but never on the
> -current branch (or much later on the -current branch)?

This can happen to fix a bug, when the code between -release and -current
has diverged enouth.

> Can code be implemented on both branches at the same time? (And if so,
> how?)

No, first -current and then pullup (with the previous exeption).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>