Subject: Re: amd: NFS mount remote dirs w/o symlink?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2001 08:41:26
ingolf@jellonet.de (Ingolf Steinbach) writes:
> On my server, the home directories of regular users are
> /home/loginname. On my other machines, I'd like to automount
> these directories on demand to the same path.
>
> I have not succeeded in configuring amd for this. All I get is
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  31 Jan  3 15:10 /home/loginname -> /amd/server.name/home/loginname
>
> And:
> % cd /home/loginname ; pwd
> /amd/server.name/home/loginname
> %

This is just the way the automounter (and amd) work with NFS mounts.
You have your amd "watch point" (in this case /home) and it is
separate from where amd will physically mount the NFS disk (in this
(and now amd) has been annoying users with this duality for around 10
years now.

There is a newer type of amd mount (keyword "autofs") that will try to
do the mount in place.  (see /usr/src/dist/am-utils/README.autofs) The
readme claims that autofs only works on a few OS's and is very alpha
quality.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>