Subject: Re: cdplay
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Chapman <dchapman@canwest.victoria.bc.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/02/2001 20:03:28
On 2 Jan 2001, at 20:42, Richard Rauch wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:42:04 -0600 (CST)
From:           	Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
To:             	None <dchapman@canwest.victoria.bc.ca>, netbsd-help@netbsd.org,
       	Ras-Sol <ras-sol@usa.net>
Subject:        	Re: cdplay

> I believe that I have in the past used xmcd.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think xmcd uses the CD-ROM audio
outputs.  ie. There's a cable from the back of the CD-ROM to the
sound card.  My CD-ROM & CD-RW are external and don't have such a
cable.  I found a plug-in for Winamp that takes the signal digitally,
and was hoping for something similar.

Looks like cdparanoia & audioplay are the clues.

> So I recall, anyway.  I haven't used it in some time, since my real CD
> player supports multiple (7) physical disks (one tray, plus a
> 6-element caddy).  (^&

I had an early Sony Discman with the line out to the stereo, but when
one of my kids moved she 'borrowed' it.

> (Now, what would interest _me_ would be a way to control my CD player
> from my computer.  I think that the thing has a wire-based remote
> control interface, but there is no documentation on it.  Maybe there's
> an industry standard though...or maybe if I actually went looking on
> the 'net, I could turn up some info about it?  Hm...  Now that I'm
> thinking about it, I guess I can go peek around the 'net.  (^&)

This could be an interesting project.

  Thanks,
    Dave Chapman

--