Subject: Re: cdplay
To: None <dchapman@canwest.victoria.bc.ca>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/02/2001 20:42:04
I believe that I have in the past used xmcd.  (See pkgsrc/audio/xmcd.)
It, in turn, is just a GUI front end for the actual CD player program.
(The real program can be run by shell commands, or wrapped in a simple
Tcl/Tk script, etc.  It includes, as I recall, support for maintaing a
music CD database; it reads a signature from your CD, and consults the
Internet for a match.  If the signature matches, it can fill out the CD
and track titles for you, as well; if it fails to match, you can supply
details for the database.  This lets you program the CD player much as you
might program a regular music CD player---except that here, you can see
the titles to the disks and songs, rather than simply dealing with disk &
track by numbers.)

So I recall, anyway.  I haven't used it in some time, since my real CD
player supports multiple (7) physical disks (one tray, plus a 6-element
caddy).  (^&

(Now, what would interest _me_ would be a way to control my CD player from
my computer.  I think that the thing has a wire-based remote control
interface, but there is no documentation on it.  Maybe there's an industry
standard though...or maybe if I actually went looking on the 'net, I could
turn up some info about it?  Hm...  Now that I'm thinking about it, I
guess I can go peek around the 'net.  (^&)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu