Subject: Re: [KDE] libjpeg.so.62.0
To: Christoph Leuzinger <christoph.leuzinger@westworks.ch>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/02/2001 09:38:29
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Christoph Leuzinger wrote:

> I'm using KDE 1.1.2 on NetBSD-1.5/i386. Before, I had KDE 1.1.2 installed
> on NetBSD-1.4.2/i386 (same machine). After having upgraded to NetBSD-1.5,
> KDE won't run properly anymore.

NetBSD-1.5/i386 changed it's default binary format from a.out to ELF.
You can use the old a.out binaries, with some effort. Most folks who
commented on the process said it was just easier to upgrade all their
packages ASAP, though...

> I get some error messages on the console where I started KDE from: apps
> like kfm or kbgndwm say:
>
> "/usr/libexec/ld.so: kfm: libjpeg.so.62.0: no such file or directory"
>
> But this file can be found at /usr/pkg/lib.

Maybe kfm was not compiled with -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib, so ld.so doesn't
know to look there? The format of /etc/ld.so.conf changed, too, so it
probably won't do any good to to enter /usr/pkg/lib there. Try moving
libjpeg.so.62.0 to /emul/aout/usr/lib/, after creating that directory.

If that works, it would probably be a good idea to move all your old
a.out shared libs into /emul/aout/usr/lib. When you do finally delete
the old libjpeg package, "pkg_delete" will complain about the missing
file -- so what? The main thing to keep in mind is that you won't be
able to *build* any packages that depend on libjpeg (or any shared
library) until you've installed the ELF version.

--

Frederick