Subject: Re: cdrecord and SCSI CD-R drive.
To: Kou Sato <k-sato@res.otaru-uc.ac.jp>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/30/2000 10:34:44
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Kou Sato wrote:

>   Hello.  I have a NetBSD 1.5-BETA(i386) with
> a Tekram SCSI interface.
>

>   Although I have no problem with reading & writing
> SCSI devices, cdrecord-1.9 doesn't work, e.g.,
> "cdrecord -scanbus" fails, and "cdda2wav -J -D /dev/scsibus0:6,0"
> fails with messages something like: "Inappropriate ioctl for device.
>  Cannot get SCSI addr."
>
>   According to some documents, it seems difficult to
> use cdrecord on a NetBSD box,  but I found no messages
> mentioning about the cdrecord problems this year.   So I
> thought it may not so difficult to solve this problem.
> Am I right?

I remember my first ventures into this territory with my Philips CDD-2600
and my SPARCstation 2 running NetBSD/sparc 1.4.

After some help from the mailing list I was able to use, and it was quite
simple. Here is a good guide:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#cdr

One note, though, on all other platforms than i386, you have to use
dev=/dev/rcd0c instead of /dev/rcd0d. The reason for that is that the i386
platform uses partition c to denote the NetBSD portion of the disk and the
d partition to be the whole disk. All other platforms use the c partition
to denote the whole disk.

I hope this helps you out.

Kjetil B.
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/