Subject: Re: Digital cameras (USB esp.) on NetBSD.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2000 22:03:54
Richard Rauch writes:
> I don't remember which version of gPhoto I supposedly have.  I assumed
> that it is the most recent/current (again, grabbed via CVS; the pkgsrc
> version gave me no support).  The CVS'd version has a menu-option for the
> Olympus 360L, but does not seem to talk to it.  (I think that I got a
> couple of core-dumps, and a general reluctance to talk to my camera.)

Interesting.  I don't recall if I ever tried gphoto on my olympus.
The gphoto interface is lifted from photopc, so it shouldn't be too
hard to whack into shape.  (I thought photopc was very clean and easy
to follow.)

> Re. JPEG data files: Are you saying that by a fairly simple tweak, I can
> remove/add wrapper data and probably make the GIMP happy?  (So far, the
> GIMP is the only program that balks at the files.  Everything else that
> I've tried is happy to grok them.)

Yup.  Some good examples exist in:
        /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/jpeg/work/jpeg-6b/wrjpgcom.c
and
	.../photopc/epinfo.c

> I assume that your statement about alkaline batteries not lasting more
> than a minute is an exaggeration?

I had *meant* to type something along the lines of a "a minute or
two", but somewhere between brain and fingers it turned into "a
minute".  I think I got 7 pictures out of my "freebee" alkaline set.

NiMH batteries and good chargers are still hard to find.  One package
worth looking into is the following.  (I tried to order it once, but
their SSL server wasn't up yet, so I declined their kind invitation to
type my credit card info in clear text.)

	  http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-c204f-4aa160dc.htm

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/