Subject: fax and modem help
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: jeff <jeff@omnia.praeclara.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2000 22:59:24
Hi folks,
I'm trying to get xsane to scan and fax.  I'm using 1.5B2 netbsd-mac-ppc
on a Powerbook G3/266 with internal modem, ethernet, scsi...
Actually, xsane worked almost immediately :)

My first problem is that when I installed I didn't have the modem
connected to an outlet (if that matters) and I don't see anything remotely
resembling a modem in dmesg.  How do I find out if this modem is
recognized?  What should I be looking for?

If the modem is not being recognized, does that mean I have to recompile
the kernel so that it _does_ get recognized?  If so, what special
configuration steps do I need to take to make the modem usable?  I'm
on-line via the ethernet port and a cable modem, which works very
nicely.  I simply need the modem to fax.

Finally, I never receive faxes, and I installed hylafax on a suse linux
machine, and I really think it's way more than I need.  And complicated to
set up.  So I simply installed the getty-sendfax pkg.  But what do I need
to do to make sendfax work?  I've been reading man pages and howto's and
docs for two days.  Usually I can work through these things with some
patience.  But this has me stumped.  I would really, really appreciate a
little help.

Thanks,
Jeff

PS.  Is there netbsd-specific documentation for how to set up sendfax?  A
link?

"Principium sapientiae silentium est."