Subject: Re: iomega zip problem
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/22/2000 14:59:35
    Date:        Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:01:41 +0100
    From:        Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>

  | You don't need to boot with a media inserted ?

No, until this recent set of messages I'd never even thought of
that as a possible requirement...

It may be though that the orb drive pretends there is media present
all the time - the kernel never seems to notice when I insert or
remove it (and yes, obviously I need to make sure there is nothing
active before I yank it...).

I don't think I've ever actually tried doing I/O to the drive when
there's been no media present - that just seems like such a perverse
thing to do...

  | wdc doesn't handle locks yet. I don't know why the ZIP gets locked, maybe it's
  | automatic.

This drive has no software locks that I have ever noticed - it is more
like a traditional floppy in that regard (though it is electronic eject
not mechanical).

kre