Subject: Re: Telnet in NetBSD 1.4.2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Nick <nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/2000 22:49:14
[following up my own posting]

On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 14:58:40 +0000, I wrote:

> > On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:05:53AM -0500, Shane A. Dawalt wrote:
> > >=20
> > >   I have found an odd problem with telnetd on NetBSD 1.4.2.  It =
gets
> > > irritated when connected to by Hummingbird 6.2.0 Telnet.  When I =
connect
> >=20
> > Same, except I'm using Hummingbird's eXceed's "HostExplorer" (version
> > 6.1.0) to telnet. Same software, different version. I am using NetBSD
> > 1.4.2 on an Alpha.
> >=20
> > > I get the normal user and password prompts, but then things hang.  =
I do
[...]
> FWIW I get exactly the same symptoms trying to use Attachmate's
> "Keaterm" VTxxx terminal emulator (version 5.something) to login to
> both NetBSD 1.4.1 & 1.4.2.  But if I login to one of our other Unixen
[...]
> I'm most interested in Manuel Bouyer's suggestion of starting telnetd
> with the '-k' option, and will try it. =20

Well I tried '-k' and it does the trick for me too.  Also, I forgot to
mention that the problem also manifested when we tried telnet-ing to
NetBSD from our VMS 7.2 systems - and '-k' fixes that too.

Thanks for the pointer Manuel.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK

--
Using encryption on the Internet is the equivalent of arranging
an armored car to deliver credit-card information from someone