Subject: make build errors...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/2000 09:16:43
Ok -- a few things to note:

1) I'm fairly new to NetBSD
2) I am comfortable building custom kernels
4) I installed 1.4.2 (i386) onto my laptop (toshiba 300CT)
   and used it for several months now...
3) I've read http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/
   and http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/

What I'm tring to do:  I have a IEEE 802.11 wavelan card I'm trying to get
working.  Aparently I need at least 1.4.2G for the wi driver (and userland
utility) that supports it.

Here is whre my knowlege is fuzzy and where I can use help.  I believe
that ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release/ has source tarballs
for the latest patch rev of 1.4.2 which will sometime become 1.4.3, which
does seem to have the wi driver in it.  I dont really want to track
-current as I'm not quite that adventurous.  So from the 'releases'
documentation, I kind of understood that I could get the tarballs for
NetBSD-release, unpack them all, build a new kernel, reboot with the new
kernel, and then do

mkdir /usr/obj
cd /usr/src (assuming that I unpaced the tarballs here...)
make obj
make build

Is that the proper procedure to do what I want?

I did this and had some buid problems.  Is this expected?  About 2 hours
into the build (this is on a pentinum 133 with /usr/src nfs-mounted :) I
get

all ===> libexec/rmail
cc -O2  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Werror   -c /mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c: In function `main':
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:193: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:204: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:210: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:226: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:254: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:260: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:302: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:306: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:319: warning: null format string
/mnt/src/libexec/rmail/rmail.c:331: warning: null format string
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

So, is rmail messed up in -release?  or am I doing something wrong?  W

Where are the compiler options being set so I can go play with them?

How can I restart the build without starting over from scratch - make
build seems to do a make clean first....

Thanks for any help you can give me :).

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.