Subject: PCMICIA Heaven or is it Hell
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/01/2000 17:43:49
After nearly 10 years of using NetBSD, I finally put NetBSD (1.4.2i386) on a
laptop with great results!

There always has to be a glitch :-)

1st, I have a 3COM Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus PC Card (Model 3CXFE575BT)
which  when inserted give a ready never happened, status = 0c, nothing.

So I grabbed a IBM Credit Card Adapter, which when inserted came up with CIS
checksum failed, then gripes about an incorrect vendor code and ne:
(00:04:ac should be 08:00:5a)  but seems to work, I could see it in
ifconfig.

Things were looking up till I removed the PCMCIA with out stopping
NetBSD.....

After the panic and NetBSD rebooted itself, fsck really was unhappy.  As a
matter of fact I've never gotten fsck to fix the errors, they are so
extensive.  No big deal, I'll just chalk this up as a learning experience
and reinstall NetBSD.

What I want to know is:
1) Can PCMCIA card be safely while NetBSD is running?
2) If yes, how?

A little off from the first question, I have a PCMCIA Flash Card, actually a
lot of them.  When I insert it in the PCMICA slot, nothing happens.  Are
these supported?

John Maier
Administrator
Midamerica Internet Services