Subject: How can something started in rc.local have a controlling terminal
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/31/2000 12:53:54
Hi All

I am starting a program from rc.local, for the reason that it must always
run when the system is booted, even without anyone logging in. However, when
I type 'ps' I see that it's value under the "TT" column (terminal) is
"TTYE0-". I have read that the "-" means that the process can no longer
reach the controlling terminal.

I have read that this is because "init" calls revoke() after rc.local,
before "login", to get rid of any processes holding onto that terminal. The
problem is this program uses a pipe, which doesn't seem to work without a
controlling terminal.

Question: how do I get the process to run every time the system starts up,
and still have access to a controlling terminal? Is it possible to
re-establish a connection with a controlling terminal.

Thanks
 Bruce Martin