Subject: Ethernet, PPP, and defaultroutes.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/2000 09:06:23
I have a little problem with default routes.

When I was just using the one computer (and even after I got the second
one, before arranging ethernet to properly configure at boot), I would
have ppp0 be the defaultroute.  (This is set by an option in
/etc/ppp/peers/*.)  This is good and well, since I'm mostly interested in
accessing information on the Internet.  (^&

If I have an /etc/ifconfig.tlp0 to properly set up my ethernet card, then
the ethernet apparently becomes the defaultroute.  ppp0, after connecting,
objects that a defaultroute already exists, and all network accesses seem
to hang around on the ethernet instead of going out.

One solution is to manually configure the ethernet interface on the
computer with ppp0 (and to do so AFTER ppp0 is connected).  This seems to
work, but even if I munge one of the boot scripts---or manufacture
one---it seems to me that it isn't the best solution.  What other ways
could I do this?  I don't see any ifconfig options that would let me
suppress defaultroute on the ethernet...

So far the cleanest solution that I can think of is to devise a new
/etc/rc.d/ethernet script which REQUIREs ppp (and maybe checks for ppp0 to
be up, since dialing takes non-zero time).  It could then run the
necessary ifconfig command to configure the tlp0 device.  That's not a bad
solution, I s'pose.  It still seems wrong to have to do such a thing.

What am I missing?

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu