Subject: Re: Problem building perl 5.6.0
To: Marinier, M. Claude, G. <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/2000 10:35:22
On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Marinier, M. Claude, G. wrote:

> No, this is not the package. I also have to build this stuff on Solaris
> and prefer to do it all by hand. This approach is not usually this
> difficult.
>
> The OpenSSH script just complains that it wants OpenSSL. The problem is
> with OpenSSL's Configure script. I just copied strict.pm (from perl 5.6.0)
> into the OpenSSL directory; now the script and the build work. I will try
> to install.

Cool.

> I am still disappointed that perl 5.6.0 does not compile 'out of the box'
> on NetBSD. I may try the package; in the mean time, I will go back to
> 5.005_03.

I remember when I looked at this last, there were some hard-coded
paths to "/usr/pkg" in the os specific file for NetBSD. That should
not be, as the package can simply supply the appropriate arguments to
"Configure". The only other patches the package supplies are to
disable suid perl, and not pull in -lposix (we don't need it).