Subject: Re: xworld can't find libX11.so.6
To: Ken Seggerman <suleyman@panix.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/17/2000 11:34:49
On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Ken Seggerman wrote:

> I am running NetBSD 1.4M on Intel. I recently built and installed the
> xworld port. When I try to run it it says:
>
>  Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found.
>
> True enough there is no real libX11.so.6 only a sym link in
> /usr/X11R6/lib:
>
> libX11.so.6 -> libX11.so.6.1

It's supposed to be like that. "libX11.so.6.1" must exist, of course,
or the package wouldn't have linked.

> My NetBSD 1.4M is from a CD dated November 1999, and the xworld tar ball
> is dated June 6, 2000.

The problem seems to be, xworld's makefile uses "-L/usr/X11R6/lib" to
find the library at _link_ time, but not "-Wl,-R/usr/X11R6/lib", which
is needed to find the library at _run_ time.

I got past the error you reported by adding

CONFIGURE_ENV+= LDLIBS="-lm ${LDFLAGS} -lX11"

to the Makefile, but it still doesn't work for me. :-(

I'm going to file a PR, and mark the package as broken. It may be
while before it's fixed. In the meantime, try "xearth". I updated it
to 1.1 last November, and I've used it on NetBSD-1.4/i386 and mac68k
and NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA/i386.