Subject: Re: mkisofs
To: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/13/2000 14:34:24
There is nothing wrong with mkisofs 1.13

The problem is that for Some reason to do with vnd
/dev/vnd0a is different from /dev/vnd0c (vnd0d on port-i386)

Mount the whole disk image, problem solved.

The error is in having examples that are wrong in the
FAQ "HOWTO create a bootable NetBSD CD-ROM."
<http://www.NetBSD.org/Documentation/bootcd.html>
and no mention of this problem in "bugs" section
of any man page.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 7:24 AM, Trevin Beattie <mailto:trevin@xmission.com>
wrote:
>I have just recently installed the cdrecord-1.9 package, and with it
>came mkisofs 1.13.  I ran mkisofs to create a test filesystem image
>(copying my /etc directory), then to check the integrity of the
>filesystem I configured it as a vnode disk and mounted it as a cd9660
>device.
>
>When I checked the directory, all my files appeared to be present.
>However, when I ran "diff --recursive --brief /etc /cdrom/etc", it
>looked like EVERY SINGLE FILE had been corrupted!
>
>I checked the GNATS database and found that somebody else had
>reported this same problem with an earlier version (see PR#pkg/8011),
>but it was dismissed as a hardware problem.  I don't think so.
>Either there is still a serious bug in mkisofs, or there is a problem
>with mounting files through a vnode device.
>
>--- Trevin Beattie
>Captain Penny's Law:
>        You can fool all of the people some of the time,
>        and some of
>the people all of the time, but you Can't Fool Mom.

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.