Subject: Re: Kernel debugging and the serial port
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2000 22:43:05
At 09:31 PM 8/12/00 -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:
>The NetBSD/i386 FAQ gives advice on compiling a
>kernel with remote debugging options installed. Does the machine that it is
>being sent to, have to be another machine running NetBSD/i386, or can it be
>anything that will run the Free Software Foundation's products? For example
>I can boot an umsdos version of GNU/Linux here, on this one.

The only requirements for the remote machine are:

1) it must be using the same serial port speed as the NetBSD machine

2) it must be running a gdb that

    a) speaks the same gdb remote debugging communications protocol
       as NetBSD/i386

    b) understands the symbol tables and binary file formats used by
       NetBSD/i386

    c) understands 386 opcodes.

The easiest thing is to just have the other end running NetBSD/i386, but
you *could* run any hardware/OS you liked on the other end, and
cross-compile the NetBSD/i386 gdb to run on that machine (I can't/won't go
into the details of doing this ;-)

P.S. I don't know if Linux gdb understands our binary file format/symbol
tables, or if it uses the same remote debugging communications protocol...