Subject: Re: Is DVD supported? Scanners?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2000 16:55:38
I just now got around to downloading the cdrecord-1.9 package.  The first
thing I tried was to get the inquiry data from my DVD-R drive:

# cdrecord dev=3D/dev/cd1d:1,4,0 -inq
Cdrecord 1.9 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.3.) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J=F6rg
Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/cd1d:1,4,0'
devname: '/dev/cd1d'
scsibus: 1 target: 4 lun: 0
cdrecord: Operation not supported by device. Cannot open '/dev/cd1d'.
Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.
#

So I tried that, and I got:

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.3.) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J=F6rg
Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.
#

?Huh?  Has anybody gotten this to work?  If so, what options / file(s) /
driver am I missing?

At 11:30 PM 5/27/00 +0200, Dr. Rene Hexel wrote:
>Trevin Beattie wrote:
>
>> Does the current release of NetBSD support DVD, DVD-R, and/or
>> DVD-video?  If so, what software is required to run them?  If not,
>
>  DVD works "out of the box" (SCSI and ATAPI), just like any plain old
>CD-ROM (with just a bit more capacity, though).  DVD-R should work if
>supported by a CD writer software (you might want to take a look at
>cdrecord from the packages system:
>"ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/sysutils/cdrecord/README.h
tml").=20
>DVD video is tricky, as it not only requires the proper player software,
>but for most DVD's some software is required that decrypts/unlocks the
>video data ...
>

>  Cheers
>      ,
>   Rene

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown