Subject: Re: X forwarding under X.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edud.localnet>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/09/2000 08:48:44
On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Richard Rauch wrote:

> It seems that forwarding of X _is_ working.  However, it is operating very
> slowly, and I'm not yet sure why.
>
> What I can see is that for some reason X protocol packets are being sent
> over my dial-up Internet connection at the sametime as between the two
> (Ethernet-connected) machines that I'm using.

Are you sure about that? Run "tcpdump -i ppp0".

> This seems to only happen with an X client running on one machine
> (with the modem) and the X server running on the other machine.
> This greatly slows down all display activity (opening a window, as
> well as refreshing contents, as of an xterm).

It could also be that the compression/encryption is overloading your
gateway/client host. What kind of machine is it? I use blowfish, no
compression for local connections, and ssh forwarding works OK, for
some things, even to a slow Quadra (mac68k). xterms, knews, are fine,
but battleball doesn't perform well at all.