Subject: Re: X forwarding under X.
To: John <john@icculus.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edud>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/08/2000 22:12:19
> > When starting X applications on the remote, they seem to start and go to
> > sleep without establishing a display.

> > is the remote machine's ID, and <display> is a pseudo-display number for
> > X forwarding (e.g., 10.0).
>
> Hmmm, have you configured the local machine to allow X connections from
> the remote?  I don't use ssh for forwarding, because I don't usually
> want forwarding, but...  If you haven't setup the local machine to
> accept X connections from the remote, that's probably the problem.
> Check out man/info xauth.

Yes, I could go that route.  I was trying to use ssh's X forwarding,
though, which shouldn't depend upon xauth.  (As I understand it, xauth is
something of a security hole, and ssh helps close this---also, ssh should
allow one to forward X sessions without bothering to use xauth for every
conceivable remote.)

> I don't know exactly what you want to do there, but you could also setup
> the remote machine to serve an xdm login to the local machine and just
> push the entire display over the net, ie the local machine is too
> slow/low on ram to run much itself(if the network is fast enough for

The local machine is faster than the remote, and in any case lacks neither
CPU cycles nor RAM.  (^&

What I want is, from an xterm on my local machine, type:

  ssh <remote>
  <do stuff, including launch X applications on the remote>

There is only limited use for running X anywhere but on the local machine,
but it would be nice to be able to do so.

There _might_ be some real use/need to be able to ssh across the Internet
and run X applications on a some machines in a lab 30 miles away.  I'm not
so sure about that need, yet, though.  For that, I could use xauth, but
I'd rather have the security that I gather ssh can provide to forwarded X
sessions.

> the remote xdm.  You could probably do something similar with other
> display managers (if they're as cool as xdm  :).

(Actually, I don't use display managers at all.  I'm a startx kinda guy.
(^&)

Thanks for the reply.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu