Subject: Re: dns with no network
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/2000 19:38:55
On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:00:04AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
> : Does the following make sense?
> : netscape is a BSDi binary => somehow doesn't call gethostbyname ?! At
> : least not ours? So nsswitch.conf doesn't enter the picture?
>
> It's statically linked with bsdi libc.
>
> Try creating a resolv.conf with only the line:
>
>     lookup files
>
> This is the `old' (pre-nsswitch) way to tell BIND not to look at DNS, and
> should work with bsdi binaries.  It *shouldn't* confuse NetBSD binaries, so
> long as nsswitch points at only files (though, I believe, we support both
> methods for compatibility's sake).

I'm afraid it didn't help...

Why would ordinary "host localhost" take so long too? Does it ignore
"hosts: files" in nsswitch.conf and just do dns as it comes from the bind
distribution?

It seems that netscape insists on contacting home.netscape.com and co - I'm
assuming that it is timing out on reverse lookup of those names which
obviously won't be in my /etc/hosts - is that another possibility? Have any
of you got (bsdi) netscape to run properly off-line?

Cheers,

Patrick