Subject: Re: dns with no network
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/03/2000 11:00:04
On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Patrick Welche wrote:

: Does the following make sense?
: netscape is a BSDi binary => somehow doesn't call gethostbyname ?! At
: least not ours? So nsswitch.conf doesn't enter the picture?

It's statically linked with bsdi libc.

Try creating a resolv.conf with only the line:

    lookup files

This is the `old' (pre-nsswitch) way to tell BIND not to look at DNS, and
should work with bsdi binaries.  It *shouldn't* confuse NetBSD binaries, so
long as nsswitch points at only files (though, I believe, we support both
methods for compatibility's sake).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/