Subject: Keyboard issue
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron McDonnell <amcdonnell@belzberg.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/31/2000 17:55:12
Hi there

Alright - I installed NetBSD to my test box and had a little keyboard problem.
The install itself was beautiful, but when it was complete, I re-booted and BSD
went through it's usual display of goodies and arrived at the "login:" prompt.
At this point, I went to login, and noticed that the keyboard didn't work
anymore.  It seems something interfered with the controller on the way to the
login prompt.  Now, the machine hardware info is as follows:

- AMD 5x86 CPU, 133MHz
- 64 megs non-parody RAM
- SMC PCI 486 mainboard, UMC chipset (built in IDE)
- Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 Value (the old non-PnP one)
- S3 Virge 375DX 4 meg PCI video
- SMC Ultra16 ISA 10Mbit Ethernet card set to Soft-config mode
- 850 meg Western Digital Hard drive (PRI IDE0)
- 528 meg Maxtor hard drive (SEC IDE0)
- Mitsumi 6X CDROM (SEC IDE1)

Now as my test box, it's had FreeBSD, Caldera Linux, Windows NT 4.0 Server &
Workstation, Windows 2000, Windows 95 (OSR2, 2.1 and 2.5), Windows 98(original
and SE), SCO-Unix, and OS2-Warp 4.0 on it, and this is the only keyboard problem
that's come up.  All I can think of is that NetBSD uses a address or interrupt
differently than the others and it interferes with keyboard input at some point
during the login.  Any ideas?

Aaron McDonnell
System Administrator & Media Development
Belzberg Technologies Inc.
40 King Street West, Suite 3400
Toronto, Ontario    M5H-3Y2
CANADA