Subject: Re: Gnustep and Freebsd
To: None <axw123@hotmail.com>
From: None <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/30/2000 08:45:43
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:40:34 GMT, axw123@hotmail.com wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I'm running Freebsd 3.5 and have installed the package gnustep 6.5.0.

That would be 0.6.5 :-)
0.6.6 is due out RSN

> When running the start up script /usr/local/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
> it gives the following error message:
> /usr/local/GNUstep/Tools application does not have a binary for this kind of
> machine/operating system.

The only GNUstep binary that would be attempting to run would be the
make_services tool.  The error message suggests that you have a copy of
make_services that was built for some other system installed - though I'm not
sure how that could be (unless you have installed on top of an older version?)

> I am doing anything wrong? Is the freebsd port non fully functional?

I believe that the FreeBSD port is OK (though I have no personal experience
of it) - but you may need to remove the NXConstantString class from your
libobjc.a before linking any GNUstep programs.

I quote from an email from dave@turbocat.de -

>we made GNUSTEP work on NetBSD 1.4Z (ELF, intel).
>
># cd /usr/lib
># ar -dv libobjc_p.a NXConstStr.po
>d - NXConstStr.po
># ar -dv libobjc_pic.a NXConstStr.so
>d - NXConstStr.so
>#
># ar -dv libobjc.a NXConstStr.o
>d - NXConstStr.o
># rm /usr/lib/libobjc.so.0.0

Perhaps this should be in a HOWTO for BSD installation.