Subject: Re: pkg_add doesn't always work
To: None <sudog@sudog.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/28/2000 14:25:31
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 sudog@sudog.com wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 07:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu
> > Cc: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>, netbsd-help@netbsd.org
> > Subject: Re: pkg_add doesn't always work

> > don't forget that unless you log out and back in again, you have to type
> > 'rehash' after installing new programs so they will be found if in your
> > path.
> >
> > -Dan
>
> Unless you're using bash. It rehashes automatically. Unless you just
> installed a file, then deleted another one by the same name in your
> same path--then it still tries to look for the file in the old
> location and THEN you have to re-login.
>
> Marc

um, I beg to differ..... using tcsh:

mcmahill@ampere 30 # cascade
cascade: Command not found.
mcmahill@ampere 31 # pkg_add
/usr/pkgsrc/packages/netbsd-1.4.2/mipsel/All/cascade-1.3.0.tgz
mcmahill@ampere 32 # cascade
cascade: Command not found.
mcmahill@ampere 33 # rehash
mcmahill@ampere 34 # cascade

USAGE:  /usr/pkg/bin/cascade  [--copyright] [--help] [--version]
        /usr/pkg/bin/cascade  infilename

maybe some shells don't need 'rehash', but the ones I use do.

-Dan