Subject: Re: pkg_add doesn't always work
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/2000 20:28:53
> Every time I use pkg_add to install a package that does have the necessary
> things in it for using the pkg_add functions to install, it places them in
> directories under /usr/pkg. Is there anyway to guarantee a proper placement?

That _is_ the proper placement. Packages managed by the pkg_* programs go
under /usr/pkg/* in order to keep them from getting mixed up with anything
else. Just as /usr/X11R6 has its own set of bin/lib/include/etc directories,
so does /usr/pkg.

> Such as instructing it to put the items that make up the joe editor for
> example into /usr/bin for example. Also, the path variable isn't always
> properly updated. Items that are placed where they belong, such as the ones
> that make up the vnc package go into the X11R6 binary directory bin, but I
> have type out the full path before I can use the actual program.

Your login scripts probably came from another system where they did not need
to add /usr/pkg/bin. It is not in general safe for pkg_add to do anything to
your personal login scripts.

NetBSD's default login scripts in /usr/share/skel already add /usr/pkg/bin
to the path, however I notice that in /usr/share/examples/usermgmt (new for
1.5) only the cshrc adds /usr/pkg/bin to the path. Hmm.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com