Subject: Re: Frustration in building install disks...
To: Erich T. Enke <Erich.T.Enke@wheaton.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/2000 22:42:34
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 02:59:02PM -0500, Erich T. Enke wrote:
> I can and have been able to build and boot successfully the non-floppy
> install kernel (netbsd.INSTALL.gz) from distrib.  However, every time I:
>
> dd if=/usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/fdset/boot1.fs of=/dev/fd0a bs=36b
> dd if=/usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/fdset/boot2.fs of=/dev/fd0a bs=36b
>
> the computer reboots when finished loading the second disk.

You mean that when booting the disks, the machine just reboots ?

This sounds like my experiences in making a bootable CD-ROM with the boot image
being boot-big.fs. The kernel boots (rotating \-/|), but either it does not start, or it dies
immediately after starting -- I never see any printouts from the kernel itself.

This is with NetBSD/i386 1.5ALPHA as supped about a week ago.

I tried it several times with new sup updates and on several machines -- same result.

- Erik