Subject: Re: Kernel compiling problems
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/24/2000 15:05:01
At 02:44 PM 7/24/00 -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:
>Hello from Gregg C Levine just me
>
>I just started using NetBSD. And for a modem who uses the 3 serial port, I
>had to compile a new kernel. Well, this was after following the exact same
>directions, posted on the web site. The file 'NETBSD' was not in the place
>the site said it would be in. I followed all of the instructions, with the
>exception of running a Perl script to make the necessary changes. I am
>running release no 1.4 of NetBSD for I386 family machines.

I'm not sure exactly which instructions you're referencing, but (unless the
problem is what Erich surmised, ie "netbsd" vs. "NETBSD" for the name of
the completed kernel binary) most likely the file "NETBSD" was just an
example name for a kernel configuration file - kernel config files are
almost always named with all uppercase letters - and the "NETBSD" really
meant "put your config file name here".

Generally what you would do is start with an existing kernel config file
from /usr/src/sys/arch/<arch>/conf (where arch is "i386" in your case)
close to what you want (most of the time, that's GENERIC), copy it to a new
file (eg "GLEVINE") in the same conf directory, make the changes specific
to your setup, then from (again, in your case, but not for other
architectures) /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf, run (using "GLEVINE" as the
example):

         config GLEVINE
         cd ../compile/GLEVINE
         make depend && make

If there are no errors, the new kernel will be in the current directory (ie
/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GLEVINE/netbsd) (the resulting binary will
always be called "netbsd", and case *is* significant). Just move the
current /netbsd to /netbsd.old (in case there's a problem with the new
kernel), then move or copy the new netbsd to / and reboot.

If the new kernel doesn't boot properly and you want to revert to the old
kernel, just hit the space bar as soon as the netbsd boot message shows up,
and type "boot netbsd.old" - it will use the old kernel.