Subject: Re: behavior under heavy payload.
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/22/2000 01:03:23
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	Hmm - you have confirmed that the database server can handle that
> 	many simultaneous queries?

Thanks for your answer.
No, i didnt, still have to try but i dont think one machine can pull this.
Just wished for some hints from guys here which got experience with stuff
like this.

> 	The simultaneous number is a hard value to judge - it varies
> 	based not only on the load but on the size of the data,
> 	speed of the remote link, random other latency issues and much
> 	more.
>
> 	10,000 simultaneous connections could be:
> 		   200,000 hits per hour, each averaging three minutes.
> 		12,000,000 hits per hour, each averaging three seconds.
>
> 	Hits per minute or second is probably a better metric.

Well, yeah its in between those values indeed, that is the amount the
machines got to handle.

> 	Get a bunch of machines setup with apache with either mod_perl
> 	or a fastcgi program that filters the queries, then passes them
> 	onto the database. Then either have the DNS entry point to
> 	multiple IP addresses (cheap), or put them behind a load balancing
> 	switch that makes them all appear as one IP address (more flexible).
> 	You can scale later by just adding more boxes. In the switch case
> 	you can even have machines go down with minimal disruption.
>
> 	Another small gain could be to put two network cards in each box -
> 	one for httpd requests, the other to talk to the database server.
>
> 	... Though I think that may be database servers by the time you
> 	are done.

Okay, looks tike i got to work this weekend to write a program to do some
filtering. Problem is, i dont know any cgi, i know c, so ill start by
right now working on a program which does some kind of filtering.
Brrr. A bit surprising that there are no progs which do content filtering
in these ways, much more ppl should have these problems and who want not
every query being allowed to pass to the database server. Did all those
ppl write cgi scripts when they needed filtering?
I mean, exploiting database servers is well known and overflow bugs and
wrong interpretation of given in commands happens to much that one really
cant realy on the program which handles the queries.
Right now i dont think anymore it's going to be fun, first week i am
prolly bussy writing stuff to filter on content (if i succeed to do that
at all), brrr. The rest will then be relativly easy :(
Bye,

Reinoud.