Subject: Re: Shell things
To: John <john@icculus.net>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/21/2000 22:06:26
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, John wrote:

> I know some people really hate it, heh, but I really like TAB
> completion, command history, scroll back, and gpm cut/paste.  If I were
> running X I know that I'd have scroll back and cut and paste, but would
> still be missing the other two.

Command completion can be enabled in csh by typing or adding to your
.cshrc:

	set filec

but that uses the escape key instead of tab, and history can be enabled
with:

	set history=<numlines>

but it does not support direct editing of command lines.  See the
csh(1) manual page for details.

Command line editing can be enabled in /bin/sh with:

	set -E

for emacs mode or

	set -V

for vi mode.  AFAIK it does not do command completion.  See the
sh(1) manual page for details.

The khorn shell should support both history and command line editing as
well as command completion.  Unfortunately I do not recall the details
involved in their use.  See the ksh(1) manual page for details.

If you want something with more features you also have the choice of tcsh,
bash, and zsh, all of which are in the pkg system.

Eduardo Horvath