Subject: Re: behavior under heavy payload.
To: Reinoud <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibb.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2000 23:36:05
On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 07:02:08PM +0200, Reinoud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to set up a webserver which must be able to handle 10.000 visitors
> at the same time and even more. Can netbsd on a i386 machine handle this?
> Suppose you have a 500 mhz with 256 mb machine, will that suffice?

This depends on how much work you have to do to serve a single page.
If it's just HTML files, then it should be OK (a P100 with 32MB can serve
up to 10000 rq/hr). Now if you have to run cgi scripts, then it depends on
how much compute power it needs.

> (yes yes, i know a server on a i386 is not a good idea :) )
> And whats more, that webserver is connected to a databse server, so
> simutaniously, the webserver has to do queries on the database server.

Would the database server be on the same machine as the web ?
It may be a good idea to put the database on a different machine, especially
if the tables are big; but again it depends on your applications (how much
queries per user, etc ...).

> Or would you recommand more machines for this purpose? Of couse ill have a
> backup machine ready in case something happens.
>
> On another machine i have ipf running under netbsd, but ipf only works
> on the ip layer (layer 4 osi model). I need to filter on apllication level
> (layer 7 osi model). So i need a content filter. Anyone know some tools
> for this under netbsd?

I guess you want to filter on contents only for some protocols, rigth ?
proxy softwares may allow you to do this.

> Right now i am working with mrtg to look at the bandwidth usage, it okay,
> but not completly what i wish, i also wish to see how much specific
> protocolls take in on bandwidth, like http for example. Ntop is nice too i

formatted data are not availanle for this, but you should be able to extract
the infos from the ipf logs.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>