Subject: behavior under heavy payload.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2000 19:02:08
Hi,

I need to set up a webserver which must be able to handle 10.000 visitors
at the same time and even more. Can netbsd on a i386 machine handle this?
Suppose you have a 500 mhz with 256 mb machine, will that suffice?
(yes yes, i know a server on a i386 is not a good idea :) )
And whats more, that webserver is connected to a databse server, so
simutaniously, the webserver has to do queries on the database server.
Or would you recommand more machines for this purpose? Of couse ill have a
backup machine ready in case something happens.

On another machine i have ipf running under netbsd, but ipf only works
on the ip layer (layer 4 osi model). I need to filter on apllication level
(layer 7 osi model). So i need a content filter. Anyone know some tools
for this under netbsd?
Right now i am working with mrtg to look at the bandwidth usage, it okay,
but not completly what i wish, i also wish to see how much specific
protocolls take in on bandwidth, like http for example. Ntop is nice too i
guess? Anybody worked with that? Right now i use ipfw with dummynet to lay
restrictions on bandwidth limiting, i didnt use vtun yet, anybody got
experience with that to control bandwidth?
Any ideas and suggestions welcome :)
Bye,

Reinoud.