Subject: Re: Transparent Firewall w/ NetBSD
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/18/2000 15:03:49
> From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>

> Yeah.  This is a routing configuration.  A bridging configuration will not
> consume IP addresses... it's similar to an ethernet switch which will
> filter packets.  Packet comes in, the box realizes that it must be bridged
> to another segment, and figures "hey, why not throw it through IPFilter,
> too."  Of course, you can't do NAT in such a situation, but it's a great
> option for situations where you've got a bunch of static IPs from a
> provider, and you don't want to do IP filter on n different boxes.

I do not care about the IP adress. And I run only IP filter on one machine.
The one that is connected to the cisco.
Why should I run IP filter on another machine?

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION