Subject: Transparent Firewall w/ NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@seanrees.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/17/2000 19:18:32
I am doing some work for a local usergroup, and we'd like to implement a
firewall on our network. I really don't want to have to go through the
trouble and resubnet the network and redo the routes for a firewall, I'd much
rather create a transparent firewall between the router and the rest of the
network.

Something like:

T1<------->Router<--->(ethernet 0)NetBSD Firewall(ethernet 1)<--->Network

I want the NetBSD firewall to basically forward all packets along its interfaces
and impose filters for "bad" packets.

Is NetBSD/IP Filter up to the task? If so, can someone provide me some pointers?
I come from a FreeBSD background, and have limited NetBSD experience.

--
Cheers,
Sean

Sean-Paul Rees (sean@seanrees.com)