Subject: Re: System time & date thinks its in California not NYC
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/15/2000 21:04:29

At 06:17 PM 7/15/00 -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:
>FWIW, US/Eastern (and all of US/*) is deprecated. America/New_York is
>the "right" choice, though it may seem less friendly and more partisan
>than US/Eastern (convention is Continent/MajorCity or somesuch).

I'll say! I would consider Boston and Washington D.C. to both be major
cities, but neither is listed. (Although "Dawson_Creek" is.) How very, er,
*odd*. Any idea what the logic is behind this switch? (some kind of
statement of support for globalization???) I thought the old way worked
just fine.

(BTW, I think I'll leave mine as US/Eastern until support for it is
completely removed. *Anything* to avoid an explicit reference to New York
on my machine! ;-)
(yes, I'm ducking! ;-)