Subject: Re: Looking for NetBSD support for RAIDZone
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: None <sudog@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/2000 15:27:33
Hello there. It is a PCI card with what looks like individual IDE
ports for each drive and some sort of caching on-board. The Linux
support is provided in the form of a kernel patch (which I would be
HAPPY to send along, it's only about 50k) and two pieces of
software--a client and a server. Both software pieces look like closed
source. I tried to get them to send me some tarballs of
*something*--documentation, anything, but I've yet to hear from their
development team.

The server sits as a daemon chunk of software on the RAIDZone host and
accepts connections from clients.

The client software is a sort of disk-manager hybrid..  you can
designate hot spares, create RAID drives, change the RAID types, and
so forth..  I'll have to play with it a bit more to see more of the
functionality.

The kernel patch looks like it just adds some special RAID
functionality and a few device drivers (/dev/rza2, /dev/rza1, etc).

I will concoct a boot disk and get the dmesg output from a netbsd boot
kernel in a future message since the machine hasn't gone live and I
can do pretty much whatever I want with it for the next few days.

I will also see what happens with the pciide driver you mentioned..
dmesg here I come!

ttyl,

Marc