Subject: Re: DelMonte?
To: Norton Allen <allen@huarp.harvard.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/2000 11:12:43
Norton Allen writes:

>   I'll limit this message to telnet for the moment, and perhaps
>   that will explain everything. Basically, inbound telnet is
>   unpredictable. The first inbound session after booting
>   terminates immediately, indicating that the remote system
>   (NetBSD) closed the connection. Subsequent attempts to connect
>   either a) bring up a normal login or b) report "Connected to
>   DelMonte!" and prompt for a Password. I have not determined
>   what causes a) or b) to occur. It appears to be
>   non-deterministic.

It sounds exactly like a duplicated ip address.  Verify that nothing
else (perhaps named DelMonte) is using the address you assigned to
your NetBSD box.  A duplicated address will be very unpredictable
depending on who replies to ARP faster, or when, etc.  I've just
recently seen a situation where one user was happily connected to the
correct machine on the local subnet, while remote users would get
connected to the wrong one, basically because the router had an ARP
entry for the incorrectly configured machine.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.