Subject: ifconfig hangs laptop (was: rc.d problems)
To: W . Suika Roberts <ssfr@unm.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/11/2000 10:01:04
On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 02:07:28PM -0600, W . Suika Roberts wrote:
> For the first couple days, whenever I ifconfig'd or dhclient'd my
> ethernet card (ne2000 pcmcia) the machine would hang, hard.  I rebuilt
> my kernel, which made the machine a little happier, but didn't fix the
> problem.

[...]

> Does anyone have a clue what is in that mess that made my machine hang
> whenever I ifconfig'd my ethernet card?

I'm not talking about the rc.d part of your message here; that has
been discussed/beaten to death several times already. However, I'm
interested how ifconfig hangs your machine. Does it become totally
unresponsive (you can't switch virtual screens anymore, etc)?

The startup mechanism can't be the problem, the only difference
may be that things now get started up in a different order than
previously, which may trigger the problem in your case.

Maybe you could send a PR with a dmesg of your laptop attached?

Thanks,

- Frank