Subject: Re: rc.d problems
To: W . Suika Roberts <ssfr@unm.edu>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/10/2000 18:59:43
On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 02:07:28PM -0600, W . Suika Roberts wrote:

> With 1.5, it seems, someone has had the bright idea of shifting to a
> SYSVish mess of scripts to replace the nice, simple, easy to configure,
> single rc script I've come to appreciate over the last couple years.

The rc.d stuff is beautiful. It simplifies system startup, and makes it
easy to add in new daemons without having to fight through a bunch of
restarts because of funky dependency issues.

man rc.d
man rcorder

It's not like SYSV where you're nailing down start and stop orders, and
it still uses /etc/rc.conf, so your configuration still happens in one
place. It simply makes it easy for the system to work out dependencies.
Each daemon says what it needs to have going before it can do its thing,
and each daemon can say what it provides, so other daemons can specify
that they want it before they'll happily start.

Compare a current /etc/rc to 1.4.x's /etc/rc, for instance. The modern
/etc/rc is far more easily comprehended, and since each of the /etc/rc.d/
scripts is self-contained, the entire startup process is consequently
simpler.

--
   Mason Loring Bliss   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us             E w i g e
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  Meerschweinchenkraft