Subject: finding file by occupied blocks in FFS
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Olbricht <s_olbric@ira.uka.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/10/2000 11:49:17
Hello,

I wonder how I can find a file on FFS which uses
a known block. Since searching in the man/info pages
and the mailing list archives did not help,
I ask in netbsd-help.
What I actually want to do is to recover the contents
of some bad blocks (e.g. from backup) and then
have them marked as unusable.

I have tried to pipe some commands into fsdb -n
to give me a list of blocks ordered by i-node number,
but encountered two problems:

1. Reading from a pipe messes up the input for fsdb,
   a simple input of
      "inode 4"
      "blks"
      "exit" (the quotation marks are just for enclosing
             the actual input lines)
   piped into fsdb gives the errors
	fsdb: command `inode' takes 1 arguments
	fsdb: usage: inode: Set active inode to INUM
	fsdb: rval was 1
   With longer input, the lines become garbled - single
   characters within words or complete words missing.
   This may be a problem with editline.

2. The number of used i-nodes is large on that FS (around
   400 000).

I use NetBSD/pmax 1.4.2-release.

Bye
Michael Olbricht