Subject: rc.d problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: W . Suika Roberts <ssfr@unm.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/08/2000 14:07:28
I just upgraded my little laptop (Compaq Contura Aero 2/45) to NetBSD
1.5_ALPHA two days ago, and had a small problem.

For the first couple days, whenever I ifconfig'd or dhclient'd my
ethernet card (ne2000 pcmcia) the machine would hang, hard.  I rebuilt
my kernel, which made the machine a little happier, but didn't fix the
problem.

This was distressing, although the fact that I could pop the card out
(provided I hadn't ifconfig'd it) without panicing the machine was very
much nicer than with 1.4.2 ^_^

After a little while I noticed some unexplainable behavior (dhclient
complaining about ne0 not being present (which I finally figured out was
because I put 'dhclient ne0' into my /etc/apm/resume script)) so I went
looking through /etc.

With 1.5, it seems, someone has had the bright idea of shifting to a
SYSVish mess of scripts to replace the nice, simple, easy to configure,
single rc script I've come to appreciate over the last couple years.

Could someone explain the logic of this?

I feel that SYSV-style scripts are only useful for certain annoying
things, and can pretty easily be done for those (starting the license
manager for ARC/Info, and other such fun stuff) without compromising the
ability simply, easily, comprehensibly do the normal stuff.

I moved my 1.4.2 /etc/rc in, disabling that mess, and my machine no
longer hangs on ifconfig.

Does anyone have a clue what is in that mess that made my machine hang
whenever I ifconfig'd my ethernet card?

Thanks,
	Suika (who _really_ dislikes this change)
--
				 ssfr@unm.edu
The computer is not mightier than a cup of coffee, or other liquid, or a young