Subject: Re: Problems with 3c905C NIC in a Dell 410
To: jvotaw@dev.tivoli.com <jvotaw@dev.tivoli.com>
From: Juergen Tritthardt <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/08/2000 20:19:08
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, jvotaw@dev.tivoli.com wrote:
> I am trying to install NetBAS 1.4.2 on a Dell Precision 410
> Workstation.  Everything works fine but I am having some problems with th=
> on-board NIC, which is a 3c905C.

As far as I know the 3c905c is not supported by NetBSD 1.4.2. I exchanged
it with a 3c905b for running 1.4.2.

> Specifically, I have narrowed the problem down to running=20
>=20
> =09ifconfig ex0 <myIP>
>=20
> I have set it so that the startup scripts don't automatically configure
> that interface.  The kernel sees the card just fine (reports it as a
> 3c905B), and I can do several other ifconfigs (netmask, media,
> mediaopt) .. but when I try to give it an IP with ifconfig, the link ligh=
> goes out.  I haven't been able to revive it after that.  Looking at the
> status with ifconfig shows that it is not available (or "no cable" or
> something -- don't have the machine in front of me).  I can ifconfig down
> and up it and it will look fine, but I still get no link light and no
> operation.
>=20
> Ideas?  I'm wondering if Dell customized the 3c905C chipset just a little
> and the NetBSD driver can't handle those changes?
>=20
> Any help would be appreciate.  Thanks for your time,

Did you check a 1.5-ALPHA snapshot?

=09Juergen
--=20
J=FCrgen Tritthardt              Max-Planck-Institut f=FCr med. Forschung
Tel. 06221/486279                          Abt. Biomedizinische Optik
Fax. 06221/486225                       Jahnstr. 29, 69120 Heidelberg